• Announcements

• Erik Hoopes

Membership Roster- 2017 Version Pending   08/17/2017

I am compiling a membership roster (for the first time in remembered history) so please watch your inbox for a membership update form coming soon.
    • Erik Hoopes

60th Anniversary Skylarks to OSH (2018)   09/13/2017

I am requesting that members interested in going to OSHKOSH next year and participating in group parking or camping for the Skylark Association please post to our survey thread:   If we get at least 15 people that say they want to go I will approach the EAA and request reserved parking for our Club. So start thinking about your plans for next year!   Erik  
    • Erik Hoopes

2018 Officer Nominations   09/26/2017

Please Visit the Thread on 2018 Officer Nominations:  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Erik Hoopes

2013 Skylark Association Fly-Ins

10 posts in this topic

Lets start discussing fly-ins for 2013. Use this thread to share your ideas and possible destinations.

South- Central US, OK, TX, LA, AR, NM, KS and WHOEVER else wants to come

I am thinking about hosting a fly-in this spring at Cedar Mills Airstrip, 3T0, next to Lake Texhoma in North Texas. They have fly in and splash in access (if anyone actually flies on floats down here), a 3000' turf runway, beautiful views on approach, tent camping and resort lodging within walking distance (you can even rent cabins right next to the runway), a nice restaurant and gift shop, and more.The rental rates are reasonable, $15 for camping and $135 for a cottage/cabin rental.

I am thinking folks could fly in friday night if they want and have a club sponsored meeting and roundtable discussion time over dinner saturday night, possibly even a movie at the pavilion or something.

Best Date for me would be May 3,4,5 but the weekend following might be possible.

Texas is a bit far for me....

If there is interest I would put the effort into organizing something in southwest Canada or northwest US. First locations that come to mind are Nelson, BC (CZNL), Crawford Bay, BC (CAR2), Cavanaugh Bay, ID (66s), or Sullivan Lake, WA (09S). All are float friendly, the latter two are camping only.

I would suggest July 4, 5, 6 but am open to suggestions. Not sure if that conflicts too much with the holidays.

David, I think it is a great idea. What I plan to do is lookup the registered aircraft in the area I am in and send out postcards to all the owners in my area inviting them to the fly-in and of course to join the club. I usually expect a 5% return, i.e. 5 out of every 100 invitations will actually show up. Could be totally different now but that's what I used to see. Try and plan a fly-in around other attractions so you don't have to feel obligated to entertain everyone the whole time. We are just getting started so people won't expect much but some well placed pre planning can make it fun for everyone. When we met in Colorado last time we had nothing going on but the club paid for two meals, so that was cool. Club was a lot stronger then, we will have to be more creative now for a little while.

There is a member of the Dayton, Ohio city council that keeps calling me wants us to have a fly-in at one of the three Dayton airports. Rick and I have his name and number if anyone is interested in contacting him and setting something up.

Ok, it looks like the may dates I can work with best are May 3, 4 this spring. So how about it guys 3T0 may 3, 4? I will start building mailers for the southern region and drum up as much interest as I can. It will be alot of fun and they have nice amenities there. Seaplanes are welcome too there is beach to land on at the marina.

Well, sorry guys, my spring turned into all work and no play. Lets start looking at our fall schedules and try to get together then.

In the fall they have a flying and wings safety meeting it is a very nice grass strip good place to camp looks like nice cabins been there several times Keith Menard N9477B

I don't see any posts from the South! I'm in Clemson South Carolina, I live at a fly-in community with lots of tie down space. I'm a bit beyond sleeping on the ground (The Holiday Inn is about the bottom for me). We have lots of things to see, Just Aircraft factory is 10 miles away, lakes, mountains, parachute drop zone, nice restaurants, etc.

I'd be glad to host a fly-in at my place (SC24). 2200 ft grass and paved.

Eric Barnhill

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0