Sign in to follow this  
Guest Admin

Potential New Owner

Guest Admin

Potential new 175 owner

« Thread started on: Dec 31st, 2004, 08:14am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently considering purchasing a 1958 175. (Not my first airplane). For some reason, I have always semed to like this model, but like most, I have heard the horror stories of the GO-300. I understand that you can't treat it like a 172. That being said, my question is as follows:

The plane am considering appears to have been well kept. The engine was last OH in the late 70's (Chrome cylinders) (300Hours ago, all receipts). It was stored for the last 8to 9 years, but the engine was "pickled", ie oil in cylinders, etc. Last year the plane changed hands from the previous owner and placed back in service. Seems to be running well. What about this engine and being dormant for all of those years? I plan to join up once I can if this works out.

PS great website and very helpful

Any insitght any member can give me is certainly appreciated

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James HSledge

Re: Potential new 175 owner

« Reply #1 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 5:49pm »

I have a GO-300C in mine C175. I'm no expert on the dormant engine, but I would not be at all afraid of one that was treated as you describe. Your's sounds like it was treated a whole lot better than mine was before I bought it 11 years ago from a "gas and go" owner. Check the compression and look for excessive slack in the gear box. If you decide to purchase the airplane, there are a couple simple things you need to know about flying it. First and foremost, keep the RPMs up. I cruise at 2900 RPM. The cylinder head temps simply will go up too high if you try to fly it like a 172 (i.e., 2350 RPMs). Second, you'll need stay ahead of the aircraft during decent, which generally means slowly pulling power back and decending long before you get to the pattern. Most everything else on the airplane is bullet proof.

James H Sledge

« Reply #2 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 6:10pm »

One more thing about the GO-300 engine horror stories. It has been my experience that most GO-300 engine horror stories are told by people who never flew the engine, didn't know anyone who had flow the engine, but were just embelishing upon stories they had heard were someone said ........ Fly the engine right (keep those RPMS up mainly) and you'll have a blast with it.

If you think you want to buy it, would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Rick Anderson

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 7:24pm »

I have to agree with James Sledge about keeping the RPM up and the horror stories. I have a 58' with the original GO-300A, 2410 total time and about 310 since last major. I normally cruise between 2900 and 3000 rpm and the engine runs smooth and performs great. If the engine was properly preserved "pickled" for the down time then it should be fine. I would recommend doing the first oil change at 25 hours and also doing an oil analysis. I would also recommend oil analysis be performed at each oil change to look for wear trends.

Rick Anderson A&P/IA

1958 C-175 N9456B

Sign in to follow this