Sign in to follow this  
Guest Admin

Wing Availibilty

Guest Admin

Wing Availability

« Thread started on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:35pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would anyone happen to know if replacement wings are available for the 175 and if so about how much they might cost? I'm looking at a crash damaged 175 and was just wondering.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kris

Administrator

member is online

Web/ Forum Administrator

Re: Wing Availability

« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 3:38pm »

From the A&P forum on the Skylark forum:

The basic wing is used on the 175, early 172, P172D, F172, and 170B. With all those models, you would think you could scrap up a set of wings. No idea how much cost. I saw a gent with a set of 170 wings on ebay a month or two ago, here is the link... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

If you found more of these you might be able to piece several together to make a good set.

Cheers!

Kris

Rick Anderson

« Reply #2 on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 3:55pm »

A complete wing assembly is not available from Cessna, probably could be built, but would have a long lead time to get it. You might be better off checking with one of the aircraft salvage companies like Wentworth. Or you could have the wing rebuilt, there are several good shops that have the jigs to rebuild Cessna wings.

James H Sledge

« Reply #3 on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 9:08pm »

Very interesting and thanks to all. I contacted Central Air Parts and Wentworth and both told me the 175 wing was different for the 172 and neither had a set. Know the fuel tankage is different but would seem logical that the wing would otherwise be the same.

James H Sledge

« Reply #4 on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 9:18pm »

Kris - How do I find the A&P forum on the Skylark forum? Mailed my membership stuff today.

Thanks.

Rick - Was thinking the wing (and flap and such) would need replacement but it might be rebuildable.

James H. Sledge

Kris

Administrator

member is online

Web/ Forum Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 01:47am »

James,

Sorry, the way I worded my post was misleading. The info was from Rick off the A&P Forum of www.cessna175.org Just go the the address, follow the instructions, and click forum when your in.

I'll send you a private email with more details.

Cheers,

Kris

Rick Anderson

« Reply #6 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 09:57am »

James - Where is the aircraft located. There are several shops that can rebuild badly damaged wings and there is availability of several of the individual prts from Cessna.

James H Sledge

« Reply #7 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 10:45am »

Rick - Thought I'd answered this yesterday but apparently not. Aircraft is in Arkansas. Damage includes wing, wing attach point, flap, prop and prop strike, firewall and such. Ran off end of runway, when through a fence and into a ditch. Any info on shops that might could repair the wing appreciated as I'm thinking I might bid on her and try to rebuild.

James H. Sledge

Rick Anderson

« Reply #8 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 3:12pm »

Where at In Ark. I am flying to Russelville Saturday to drop the wife off at her parents then picking her up on Sunday or Monday.

I would call Randy Grant at Star Aero, they are in Clinton, MO and have been doing Cessna wings and fuselages for as long as I can remember. Phone # is 660-885-9823.

James H Sledge

« Reply #9 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 5:17pm »

Rick - Actually, it is quiet close to your route. Dawson Aircraft at Clinton AR has possession of it and AIG Insurance is selling it. That's about 37 NM from Russellville. If you want to take a look, check out the AIG Aviation web site (the C175 is about 50th on the list).

James H. Sledge

Kris

Administrator

member is online

Web/ Forum Administrator

« Reply #10 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 1:22pm »

Seems like you would want to do an oil analysis before bidding, since the crash was caused by "partial loss of power" it might have stuck a valve or dropped a cylinder, which might cost you some engine work. Unless you plan on rebuilding/replacing anyway.

Kris

James H Sledge

« Reply #11 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 10:10pm »

Kris - Good thought but doubt I could get it done in time. Besides, if I were fortunate enough to get it, I'd probably put another engine in it anyway. Really do like those old GO-300s and would probably put another back in it unless I ran across an 0-470 or something at a price I couldn't refuse. Thanks.

James H. Sledge

C175/6608E

Rick Anderson

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 10:27pm »

I didn't make the trip due to weather, but I did look at the photo's on the slavage web site. The wing is definately repairable.

Dries Krause Posted: Jan 22 2005, 09:13 AM

Unregistered

Exactly the same thing happened to me on 31 Dec 04 . loss of power, aborted take off and could'nt stop in time . So I also need jigs and plans to rebuid my 1958 C175 wings . The other damage are almost the same .

cessna175 Posted: Jan 22 2005, 03:51 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin

Member No.: 1

Hmm. 3 of you that are looking for wing jigs and plans, Clay Story, James Sledge and Dries Krause. If you could all get together it might be more affordable to buy the wing plans/blueprints.

Kris

Guest_Clay Posted: Jan 22 2005, 10:57 PM

Unregistered

I have been in contact with a man in Mena, Arkansas who has built a jig. I plan to build a replica of his wing fixture. I hope to travel to Mena and copy/draw a plan of his marvel of modern technology within the next couple of weeks.

His frame is made of 4x4x1/4 square tubing. It picks up seven points on the wing.

The twist on a Cessna wing is three degrees +/- one half degree.

As I have more information, I will make it available to the group.

While doing my research, I came across the original "Cessna Production Card" at the Wichita State Library in the Dwane Wallace Collection. The collection has production cards for all Cessna aircraft.

If you want to find out this information on your bird, ask the library for MS98-18 from Box 8, Dwane Wallace Collection. These may be found in the Technical Library in the southwest corner of the library at Wichita State University.

The card has Serial and N-number, MFG date, Extra Equipment, Engine, Prop, Lock, Color and Striping. Also the name of the distributor, order number and code. The complete for #56691 N7199T was $13,335.00.

Pretty cool stuff to know but won't buy me a cup of java.

Sign in to follow this