Sign in to follow this  
Guest Admin

Continental IO-360-C STC Conversion

Guest Admin

"Tony Bell is replacing his engine in N973WD. Last report was that he was going to use Rich Barclay's Continental IO-360 STC. "

How much is the STC and what is included with the STC from Rich Barclay?

I fly a Seneca ll with the Continental IO-360. The fuel burn is 21-23 GPH doing 165 knots. The Seneca has counter rotating propellers. If someone is to use an engine from a Seneca, make sure you get the Right engine.

The GO-300 dry Weight is 311.92 lbs.

Overall Engine Dimentions:

Height 27.62" -A,-B, 26.56" -C,-D,-E

Width 31.50"

Length 39.12" -A,-B & C, 39.19" -D & E

The IO-360 dry Weight is 331.25 lbs.

Height 22.43"

Width 31.46"

Length 34.03"

The O-470 engine dry Weight is 379.66 lbs.

Height 28.09"

Width 33.56"

Length 36.03"

Tony Bell Posted: Jan 18 2005, 03:01 AM

Group: Members

Member No.: 2

I am going to install the IO-360 in my 60 model 175A. Another member, Richard Anderson, gave me the heads up on Rich. I emailed him and he was prompt in getting back with me. Here are a few of the things, which helped me in deciding against the O-470.

1. The engine required is an IO360-C; it must be a "C" model or an engine that has been converted to a "C", using an “off the shelf” Cessna mount.

2. The prop is a McCauley D2A34C.

3. All the parts are off the shelf, including the mount.

4. The performance he gets out of the conversion was 148 mph at 10 GPH, at 10,000 ft.

5. Rich did the IO-360 because of the horsepower and weight. He netted 7 pounds of useful load after the conversion.

6. The engine is lighter, but the prop is heavier than the old units, and you don’t add any ballast on the rear bulkhead.

7. Draw back, you will have to cut holes in the cowl and patch the air inlet and old exhaust holes.

8. The cost of the paperwork is $1800. It is good conversion and you will be very happy with the performance.

This conversion will out climb mid 60's 182 but will run about 5 mph slower. Rich told me he has flown with several people, which have 66 182's. He doesn’t sell any of the parts, but only the paperwork, which is step by step and all the parts necessary. He does provide a mold for the upper cowl so you can shape yours. The airplane should have had this HP from the factory, but..... If you are interested or have specific questions mail Rich at ffrichdana@msn.com and I am sure he will be happy to help you. He does not provide part numbers on an individual basis that is what is in the STC.

In the mean time I am collecting all the parts necessary and will be getting the STC in April from Rich.

Tony Bell

Clay Posted: Jan 18 2005, 04:32 AM

Unregistered

Thanks for the information Tony.

I am very interested in the progress of your project.

Do you know of any flying examples of this conversion?

Thanks in advance,

Clay Story

Guest_Tony Bell Posted: Jan 19 2005, 01:15 AM

Unregistered

Rich Barclay has the conversion in his aircraft if I am not mistaken

cessna175 Posted: Jan 21 2005, 07:47 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin

Member No.: 1

Tony,

What is the projected cost of your conversion, and is your source for the engine private or can you clue us in to a good source? I want to see if it is feasable to buy an airplane with a run-out engine and finance a conversion on the same note.

Thanks!

Kris

Sign in to follow this