Sign in to follow this  
Guest Admin

GO-300 Cooling problems

Guest Admin

Engine Cooling

« Thread started on: Nov 1st, 2004, 09:49am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weekend I spoke with a retired Cessna employee and he told me about a modification to the 175 which there is no STC.

There was a Cessna dealer in Kansas City who put C-182 cooling loovers into the cowling of factory new C-175's as soon as they got them. There is no STC available for this installation.

He said that this did not completely cure the cooling problem but did help.

He also told me to climb out at 100 and to not drag the airplane in on final.

He also mentioned a STC for a 1" piece of aluminum which was added to the lower cowling to help with cooling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kris

Administrator

member is online

Web/ Forum Administrator

Re: Engine Cooling

« Reply #1 on: Nov 3rd, 2004, 9:45pm »

I have heard of such things. It seems to me that a 62' cowl with flaps should be able to be modified for an older plane. Or maybe the older cowls modified to operate like the 62', 63'. Does your contact know what the name of the dealership's owner was?

Kristopher

Clay

« Reply #2 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 10:54am »

I asked him but he could not recall the name. Perhaps Cessna would know the answer.

I would like to know how difficult it would be to retrofit some cowl flaps to a 1960 C-175A. The idea of cowl flaps sounds like a very good idea.

Kris

Administrator

member is online

Web/ Forum Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 9:40pm »

Yea, cooling, cooling, cooling. Thats what the GO-300 needs. It seems to me that you should be able to turn on a water injection that sprays a mist on the back cylinders on demand, to help cool them. Maybe even a thermostatic design. We should check all the STC's for such things.

Clay

« Reply #4 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 08:54am »

Perhaps some engineer could design some electric fans mounted under the cowling.

Dave

« Reply #5 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 06:57am »

Am new to the board. I own a 175B with a Mid-America O-360/CS conversion. Keeping the engine cool has allways been difficult, especialy here in El Paso. My lower cowl does have louvers in the sides, part of the STC, I believe. Mid-America is no longer in business, but the STC holder still lives in Wichita. STC# SA424CE MASA drawing list #17500 dtd 31 Jan78

I pay very close attention to temps when climbing out in the summer. It pays to run a little rich during that phase of flight. Hope this helps anyone.

Best Regards,

Dave Rains

N8086T

RonBell

« Reply #6 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 10:03am »

Because I fly the mighty 180 hp Franklin in my 1958 C175 on floats , I do not have a cooling problem(more amazing because the engine does not use inter-cylinder baffles) Was it a fellow named Thompson who wrote "Wings for the World". He mentioned that when doing sea trials with the Edo 2200s and with your geared engines that they had to add a 4" or 6" lip to the cowling (air dump) to get temps down. Don't know whether this will help y'all but here it is for what it's worth. Have a good one. Ron

Rick Anderson

« Reply #7 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 10:53pm »

My '58 with the GO-300 has the extra 1" lip at the bottom of the cowl outlet, it is from the float plane kit that was available. I don't have problems with overheating, even here in south central KS in the 100+ degree temps in the summer. It also helps to make sure the engine baffles and seals are in good shape (no holes and seals facing the right direction after cowl installation). Running with the mixture on the rich side will also help with cooling.

forrest seale

« Reply #8 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 10:31am »

I recently installed a 6 probe CHT gauge in my 175. I sealed up all the holes in the baffleing - I would extimate 4 sq. in. of them - and now can climb out at 90 indicated in New Mexico with no problems. Suprisingly my #3 cylinder is now the hottest by about 30 degrees F.

RonBell

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 8:47pm »

Forrest: Why do you say "surprisingly #3 is the hottest"? Ron

Forrest Seale

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 9:20pm »

I expected it to be #2, where the probe from the original installation was located. If not that one, then #1, the other back cylinder. I've always heard that the rear cylinders were the hotttest.

Forrest

Kris

Administrator

member is online

Web/ Forum Administrator

« Reply #11 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 11:32am »

I have heard the same. It would be interesting if each you with multi probe assemblies recorded all you cylinder temps, and the mods/ flaps that your cowl has, then post it here. If we get enough data we may see a pattern and be able to better ascess cooling problems for the GO-300.

Kris

Sign in to follow this