Sign in to follow this  
Guest Admin

GO-300-C Generator Problem

Guest Admin

Generator on a GO-300C question

« Thread started on: Dec 27th, 2004, 9:46pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've noticed that the amp (volt?) meter in my C175 doesn't seem to show very much at anytime, yet my battery seems to be a bit weak most of the time. I replaced the battery this summer and that did not seem to change anything. I'm thinking the brushes in the generator may be shot. Does this sound like a reasonable conclusion or is there something else I should check first? Appreciate any advise.

James H. Sledge

C175/6608E

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RonBell

Re: Generator on a GO-300C question

« Reply #1 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 2:14pm »

Altho I have an alternator and a Franklin installed on my C175,I had the same problem.Because I have an adjustable voltage regulator,I was able to increase the voltage to solve my problem.This is perhaps best done in small increments to prevent an overcharge situation.Don't know if this will help in your case but thought I'd stick my nose in. Ron

Kris

Administrator

member is online

Web/ Forum Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 3:50pm »

I was thinking something similar, to check the voltage being sent to the battery. I think that the gauge you are talking about is an ammeter, which measures the flow of electricity to or from your battery. If your voltage (which is like the electrical pressure) is not high enough, then it will not "push" the flow of electricity back to the batery to charge it up. If the GO-300-C has a voltage regulator then that could be the culprit as well as a worn out generator. Simply taking a voltmeter and checking the voltage across the battery while the plane is running (you should have 2 people to do this) will tell you if the voltage is low. Then you can check back at the regulator output and then the generator output to see which piece is the failure. Ideally you should have about 2 volts higher output from your gen/alt than your battery voltage, i.e. 12volt battery- 14volts out of the alternator/generator.

Be very careful with working around the cowling with the engine on- I am not an A&P and you might not be supposed to be in the cowl with th prop engaged. You can work around this by hooking up long aligator clip leads to the test areas with the engine off, then turning the engine on and reading your meter.

Kris

electronics geek by trade

Jamrs H Sledge

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 4:46pm »

Thanks. I replaced the voltage regulator a couple years ago but don't recall checking to see what the output from it was. I'll check the voltage at the battery as suggested and then the voltage regulator hopefully tomorrow and advise what I find out. Believe my voltage regulator is mounted on the engine firewall in such a way as I can get to it without removing the top cowl. If so, I'll plan on hooking a couple aligator clips to it and sit in the pilots seat to read the results. Sincerely appreciate the suggestions.

James H. Sledge

C175/6608E

Sign in to follow this