Sign in to follow this  
Guest Admin

Seaplane Draft/Takeoff-Landing

Guest Admin

Hey FloatFlyers, /how much draft does a C-175 have with an EDO-2400 or equivalent, and what are typical takeoff/ landing distances at moderate load? I am also wondering about the CG/Gross weight, does it change alot when dragging floats?

Thanks,

Kris

0102 Posted: Jan 14 2005, 01:04 AM

Unregistered

Kris.My 2200s draw about a foot of water empty----2400s would be less. Typical takeoff distances are hard to estimate as they are headwind critical. Takeoff time for me would be about 22 seconds on average.Could go on for an indefinite period if overloaded and glassy water---or at least untill the engine seizes.One wants to keep the weight forward on floats as dragging the heels won't get you in the air. Finally got into the new site as you can see.Looks great. Ron

Guest Posted: Jan 17 2005, 04:29 AM

Unregistered

Why does Glassy water make it harder to takeoff? Is rough water better? If you put bigger floats does that mean faster takeoff with less draft? Thanks!

Kris

Clay Posted: Jan 17 2005, 03:32 PM

Unregistered

It is harder to break the surface tension of glassy water.

If you watch a float plane take off, the pilot will lift one side up before the other side. This is done to breakaway from the water.

Guest Posted: Jan 17 2005, 08:53 PM

Unregistered

Not all the old time bushpilots believe(d) in rolling one float off first which is remarkable as many of the early bushplanes didn't have flaps and were notoriously underpowered.Personally,I and most of my acquaintances do "roll the float" as it shortens the takeoff run as far as we are concerned. Glassy water indicates no headwind to help your airspeed.I feel,perhaps wrongly that the rivets on Edos and others act as vortex generators and the turbulence helps break the suction----I have an opinion that the bottoms of the fibreglass Aerocets are so smooth that there is little turbulence created between the float bottoms and the water and the takeoff run is longer.They have other qualities that may offset this feature.My 2200s must generate plenty of turbulence as there are numerous patches and the plane should fly tied at the dock. One can feel the hull of an aluminum skiff speed up in the prescence of a little chop on the water. Kris--how come I am rated as a non-member on this forum? Have I missed something? Ron Bell

Guest Posted: Jan 18 2005, 04:23 PM

Unregistered

Ron you haven't missed anything no time right now but I'll fix or explain later..

Kris

cessna175 Posted: Jan 19 2005, 12:15 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin

Member No.: 1

OK, the forum is not smart enough to know that you logged in on the main site. If you want the forum to remember you, you have to (I know, another step, ugg...) click on register and get yourself into the forum's memory as your name and a password. Just don't forget your password, use your member number or something.

Kris

cessna175 Posted: Jan 20 2005, 03:09 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin

Member No.: 1

Also, if you already registered you may have to click on "remember me" when you login through the forums login page. I have to do it often, it seems to forget me. This forum is a little different than the last one but at least we don't have ads selling spyware...

Kris

Sign in to follow this