Sign in to follow this  
Guest Admin

Looking For used Floats

Guest Admin

Floats

« Thread started on: Dec 7th, 2004, 6:31pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just looking at finding some floats for my father-in-law's N5HV. Anyone know of anybody selling used ones he can use?

Yes, I know, it's a long shot and most used floats are already used and ABUSED.

Thanx anyway,

Alan Frosch

N141JA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RonBell

member is online

Re: Floats

« Reply #1 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 08:07am »

I have EDO 2200s on my 1958 175.They are a rare size as few were made.Don't go any smaller ---I have seen 2000 Edo's on 175s but they,like the c172,are underfloated. PK2300s are available as are Edo 2440s.I believe the float attach kit for the 175 and 172 are identical. Stiffeners are required at the front attach point and a firewall beef-up is a good idea--mine was beefed up due firewall problems caused by rough water and hard landings.(before I bought the plane) I have given it a few torture tests since with no adverse effects.(purely in the interests of science,of course).The rear attach porkchops can be fabricated from the stubs of unservicable landing legs from a 172 or 175. A dorsal fin enlargement is required for the 2200s. It looks like hell but can be removed for wheel or ski operation.If you look at the gallery photo of my C-FVYJ you will see that it is conspicuous by its absence(with no adverse flight effects that I have noticed).I am a great believer in Edos as no one else makes as efficient a bottom. I will keep my eyes and ears open on your behalf. Ron Bell C-FVYJ

Kris

Administrator

member is online

Web/ Forum Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 2:39pm »

There are a few floats for sale on the classifieds of the seaplane association website. Follow the link on the C175 Homepage. Since Ron rccomends only EDO 2200 and larger, the only floats I see are Auqa 2400 for about $9000.

Heres the Specs on the new Aqua 2400's:

AQUA Model 2400

Cessna 172I, K, L, M, &N, R172K (XP)

Cessna 172 I, K, L, M 180 Lycoming, 172 D thru P 215 Franklin

Cessna 175 and 175 w/180 Lycoming (Avcon)

Maule M-5 210, 210TC, 220 Franklin, 235 Lycoming

Maule M-6, M-7, MX7-235

For details about installation weights, useful load, and performance, please give us a call . Model 2400 floats are sold with complete rigging and dual water rudders for about $22,600.

The Avocet composites look really cool.. but they are certified only for 180 series.

What are the effects of underfloating, other than sinking to the bottom of the lake?

RonBell

member is online

« Reply #3 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 5:16pm »

Underfloating means they will have difficulty getting off the water. And the glass floats are AEROCET.Two other flats are CLAMAR and BAUMANN Ron

Kris

Administrator

member is online

Web/ Forum Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 1:48pm »

When are you considered "overfloated"?

RonBell

member is online

« Reply #5 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 2:38pm »

When your floats start cutting into your payload or when they are so big you can't get off the water. The bigger the float ,the better taxiing in a crosswind as the larger downwind float doesn't sink.I have seen several Beavers on the "small" Norseman floats(6450) and they perform well but then with 450 hp why shouldn't they.We call them BIGFOOT in this configuration. ,..Ron

Kris

Administrator

member is online

Web/ Forum Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 9:16pm »

I contacted avocet and they expect to have their 2200 and 2600 series floats certified in 16 to 18 months. They are currently working on certifying their Beaver floats. The 3500 series has been working on 180- 200 series planes for about 10 years. It will be interesting to see them tested against the EDO's.

Kristopher

Sign in to follow this