Sign in to follow this  
Guest Admin

GO-300 in Homebuilt

Guest Admin

GO-300 rebuild used in homebuilt

« Thread started on: Nov 12th, 2004, 5:07pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You never know what you will find when surfing the web. I do not condem or condone the following but I did find it interesting.

I found the following on the Wings On Line Message Board. It is listed under Engines & Parts for sale or wanted http://www.wingsonline.com/engprt.html

GO-300 continental engine

11/11/104 - Since this seems like a good forum for information as well as for sale and wanted, thought that I would let the homebuilders know that the O-300 and GO-300 engines are great ones to rebuild using automotive parts. Two years ago did a rebuild on a GO-300 for use in a homebuilt. Used Ford high performance 390 flat top pistons which got the compression up to 8:1 from the 7.2:1 of the stock ones. These pistons have slightly larger wrist pins than the Continental so the small ends of rods can be resized to fit them. The rod bearing inserts are identical to those used in an industrial Continental engine and of course much less costly than the 'certified' ones. The Ford pistons we used were 0.020 oversized allowing some boring of the Continental cylinders to take out the wear. Make sure your machine shop tapers the bore about 0.005 smaller at the top to make up for the temperature differential when running. Results so far have been great, the engine pulls much better than stock, burns less fuel (100 octane only now). Added a full flow oil filter, remote mounted one from NAPA. Since we reused the main bearings we added a 0.002 steel shim behind one side to restore the needed crush on the bearing and prevent it from fretting in the case. Our crank is still stock size but polished a bit to restore perfect roundness to throws. leighschu@aol..com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James H Sledge

Re: GO-300 rebuild used in homebuilt

« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 4:04pm »

Anyone have a good idea what the fair value for a mid-time GO-300 might be?

Kris

Administrator

member is online

Web/ Forum Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 12:50am »

Had a gentleman in Alaska who was selling one with 1647.6 TTSN, 476.6 SMOH, 252.98 TSTOH and he had it on ebay for about $5000. I asked if he would take $4000 and he said no- it was worth $6500. It was a standard GO-300-C. If I see any other pricing info I'll pass it along.

Kris

James H Sledge

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 09:01am »

Thanks Kris. My GO-300C is running strong and giving me great performance but was thinking a spare might not be a bad idea if they were not too much. At those price ranges, think I'll not do that and look towards a new interior or something in the spring instead.

Jim

Sign in to follow this